Halloween Creamy Pumpkin Soup (with bacon optional) – 5/6 servings
1 kg pumpkin flesh grated
2 carrots grated
1 potato grated
1 onion diced
4 slices of bacon diced (optional)
Garlic or dried minced garlic
Salt and pepper to season
150ml cream (optional)
- Fry off the diced onion in a little olive oil in a large saucepan
- Add in some garlic and diced bacon (optional) and fry for a couple of minutes
- Add all the grated vegetables, 1 litre of vegetable stock and salt and pepper to season
- Bring to the boil then cover and simmer lightly for about half an hour, stirring when needed
- Remove from heat and use a hand blender or electric blender to puree it all together into a fine creamy consistency.
- Stir in 150ml of cream and simmer for a few more minutes (I used Millac Gold single cream but I have seen recipes that suggest double) Cream is optional as the vegetables alone make a creamy consistency but this just adds some extra richness to the flavour.
- Pour into bowls, sprinkle over some roasted pumpkin seeds or croutons and serve.