I was lucky enough to try Bioglan Superfoods Cacao free as party of a Tesco Orchard Programme. It’s a healthier version of Cocoa powder that you can use in baking as well as drinks and is part of a whole range of Bioglan Superfoods that are now being stocked in Tescos. I have also tried the Cacao with Flax & Superberries and Chia & Flax, both of which are great to add to yogurts and smoothies, and the latter to salads. It’s such an easy way to get added nutrients into your diet. I’ve also used ingredients from some of my other favourite companies. I made this for a birthday cake but of course you dont need a special occasion to enjoy chocolate cake.
50g Bioglan Cacao,
6tbsp boiling water,
3 large eggs,
175g self raising flour and 1 tsp baking powder ,
100g softened butter/cooking margarine
300ml double cream,
150g tub of yogurt – I used Collective Coconut and Lime but any flavour works well with chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180 degree and line two sandwich tins with greaseproof paper
- mix cocao powder and boiling water to form a paste in a large bowl
- mix in all the ingredients then stir in 2/3 of pot of yogurt and pour into the two baking tins
- Cook for around 40 minutes
- Allow to cool then whip the double cream until firm peaks are formed, stir in the remaining 1/3 yogurt
- Use half the cream mix for the filling then the other half for the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with chocolate flakes or shavings and serve.